CASRO Safe Harbor Program
About the CASRO Safe Harbor Program
CASRO Safe Harbor and Your Business
7/26/16 UPDATE: The CASRO Safe Harbor Program will be transitioning into the CASRO Privacy Shield Program in the coming days. Please check back soon for updated information.
On October 6, 2015, the European Court of Justice issued a judgment declaring as "invalid” the European Commission’s Decision 2000/520/EC of 26 July 2000 "on the adequacy of the protection provided by the safe harbour privacy principles and related frequently asked questions issued by the US Department of Commerce.” This ruling has no impact on the US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework.
In the current rapidly changing environment, the US Department of Commerceis continuing to administer the Safe Harbor program, including processing submissions and renewals for self-certification to the Safe Harbor Frameworks. In light of this, the CASRO Safe Harbor Program will continue to accept applications and renewals for its independent dispute resolution program for companies self-certifying to the Safe Harbor Frameworks. If you have questions, please contact the European Commission, the appropriate European national data protection authority, or legal counsel.
Please click here for a statement by Secretary Pritzker on the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and here for a factsheet.
CASRO members are committed to protecting the personal data of research participants. That’s why the CASRO Code requires Members that receive data from Europe to comply with the EU directive on data protection. If you receive personal data about EU citizens you must be in compliance with the EU directive on data protection which can be achieved a number of ways—one of which, and for many companies the simplest way, is to self-certify with the US Department of Commerce that your business is in compliance with the seven Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
- What is the CASRO Safe Harbor Program?
- CASRO supports your company in complying with the Safe Harbor Framework, provides alternative dispute resolution (with independent complaint handling by the Council of Better Business Bureaus), and helps your organization prepare for self-certification with the US Department of Commerce.
- How can your company benefit from the CASRO Safe Harbor Program?
By participating in the CASRO Safe Harbor Program your company:
*complies with the third party dispute resolution and enforcement requirements of the Safe Harbor framework
*demonstrates to business partners your commitment to protecting the data of EU and Swiss citizens
*builds trust with clients and with research participants.
- Why should your company choose to participate in the CASRO Safe Harbor Program?
- CASRO knows your business
- CASRO is always available to provide guidance to our members
- CASRO supports your understanding and implementation of the Safe Harbor self-certification process
- Independent complaint handling by the Council of Better Business Bureaus